Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cover Me

Today was not a fun day for Joey or Mommy. It started early yesterday morning, when Joey woke up with the sniffles. Then I noticed he felt really warm and took his temperature - which was 100.5. I called and left a message with the doctor, who just said to give him some Tylenol and check back in if it got any worse. So everything seemed to be going smoothly through bedtime. Then midnight rolled around and I heard this crying. I went to check on him, and he was half-sleeping half-awake, but definitely crying. I woke him up enough to give him some more Tylenol (his temperature was 101.5 at this point), and then tried to help him get back to sleep. But he was just too congested. I tried holding him in the rocking chair, then went downstairs so that maybe if holding him on the couch worked, I could recline and fall asleep, too. No dice. So I took him back up to our room and put him down in the pack 'n play. Turned on the air conditioning, hoping that maybe cooling him off and controlling the air might help allay his discomfort. At least he slept until 6ish. Mostly. There was still lots of fussing and crying, but I didn't have to get up to comfort him. (More like I couldn't get myself out of bed to comfort him, and fortunately it worked out ok.)

Daddy was kind enough to get up with Joey this morning. (Since he didn't even hear the baby crying last night, I felt it was only fair that I get to sleep a little longer.) He was still fussy and not quite eating right, and was he ever tired. He went down for his nap at 8:30 and slept two hours. I tried feeding him lunch like normal, and he ate most of his sweet potatoes, but that was about it. He went down for his second nap at 1:00pm (still normal) and ended sleeping until almost 4:30.

And this story is now way to long. The short-ish ending ... he seems to be extremely tired but feeling much better. Believe it or not, going outside seemed to help his congestion. Counterintuitive, I know, but it worked. He's sleeping in his crib now, and as usual his Nana afghan is covering him up. (See above.) Everything seems to be on the up-and-up, and hopefully he can forgive us for the aspirator. We'll see how he does tomorrow.

3 comments:

mom said...

let me know either way last night i had diarrhea from like 6 to 8 and vommitting at 11 but i'm in work la! la! love you mom

Betsy Maletz said...

Hope you are getting some rest - sounds like a tough night - Joey is such a trooper though!

The Schoeneman's said...

Awww, I sure hope the little man is feeling better soon!